T he known history of the funeral business in Enosburgh dates back to 1892 when John W. Gibson was the owner/operator of Gibson’s Funeral Home and also operated a furniture store. In 1901 John's sons William E. Gibson and George Gibson joined him in the day to day operations. Upon the death of William Gibson, George Spears who had been an employee of the Gibson’s purchased the inventory from them and along with his son, William E. Spears Sr. started the Spears Funeral Home in 1955 which was located on Orchard St. In 1966 William "Billy" Spears Jr. started working with his father & grandfather. In 1979 Billy took over ownership of the funeral home and in 1983 built a new facility on Dickinson Ave.
In 2002 Billy sold the funeral home to Thomas E. Cook who had been an employee of Billy's since 1984.
This brief history shows the long standing tradition and commitment to funeral service that Enosburgh and the surrounding communities have been provided for more than one century.